Keep Austin Generous is a City of Austin-endorsed campaign that promotes the power and importance of all levels of philanthropy in Austin. Our inaugural Keep Austin Generous Week, December 6-13, 2012, saw an outpouring of community support with tens of thousands of Central Texans and dozens of businesses giving back to their favorite causes.
Keep Austin Generous recognizes generosity by celebrating the good efforts of others through:
- Supporting nonprofits via new channels contributing to charitable causes.
- Partnering with local businesses to encourage accessible giving, including Go Local member companies’ point-of-purchase donations citywide.
- Encouraging every member of the Austin community to be philanthropic and to think about giving small amounts collectively to make a big impact.
- Promoting philanthropic collaboration with local, forward-thinking, visionary individuals, businesses, nonprofits, and municipalities.
What does Keep Austin Generous offer?
Who can participate in Keep Austin Generous?
One of the core values of Keep Austin Generous is that everyone can participate in philanthropy. Individuals, businesses, and organizations can all join and do something good.
Who is behind Keep Austin Generous?
How can an individual get involved with Keep Austin Generous Week?
There are a number of ways for both individuals and organizations get involved December 6-13:
- Make a tax-free donation of $10 or more to any registered nonprofit in the United States.
- Participate in one of five Raisedays, December 9-13. Each $1 donation is automatically shared on social media encouraging your friends and family to donate. Every donation goes into the Keep Austin Generous Fund. We’ll be taking grant applications from local non-profits through February 2014. In March, we’ll reveal top applicants in each of six categories: Health and Human Services, Education, Environment, Animal Rights, Veterans Affairs, and ‘Special Consideration’. Donors will then be given the option to vote from the list of nonprofits through their automatically-created MiniDonations account. Every dollar donated counts as a vote; participants select the nonprofits they would like to support through their account. Funds will be distributed per the percentage of votes received by the nonprofits in each category.
- Create your own Keep Austin Generous Event: Show your passion and ingenuity for Austin causes by creating your own nonprofit-themed event during Keep Austin Generous Week. Tell us your ideas for events. Submissions are reviewed by our Committee for inclusion and promotion online, through our social media channels, and as part of our outreach efforts to the regional media.
- Visit a participating Go Local business and donate your Go Local savings.
- Volunteer for Keep Austin Generous events by contacting email@example.com.
How can a business get involved with Keep Austin Generous?
- Donate at least one percent of your pretax earnings, partner with Go Local Austin or offer opportunities to your customers to donate for the duration of Keep Austin Generous Week, December 6-13.
- Request Keep Austin Generous posters, flyers, and collateral and show off your passion for giving back.
- Write a blog post on Keep Austin Generous’ website about how you and your employees Keep Austin Generous. Highlight ways in which you engage in philanthropy via social media, and be sure and share with us via @GenerousAustin or on our Facebook page.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to sign up or for more information.
What are the benefits for businesses that get involved with Keep Austin Generous?
- Keep Austin Generous activities highlight corporate citizenry and social responsibility.
- Connect with clients, customers, and employees through your community support.
- Interact with customers and the community through social media.
- Gain recognition of your participation.
Where do donations go?
General donations go into the Keep Austin Generous Fund. We’ll be taking grant applications from local nonprofits through February 2014. In March, we’ll reveal top applicants in each of six categories: Health and Human Services, Education, Environment, Animal Rights, Veterans Affairs, and ‘Special Consideration’. Donors will then be given the option to vote from this short list of nonprofits by simply adding them to their MiniDonations account. Every dollar donated equals a vote. Funds will be distributed as a percentage of votes received by the nonprofits in each category.
How can nonprofits get involved? What is the benefit?
How does the MiniDonations platform enhance Keep Austin Generous Week?
- MiniDonations is a Texas nonprofit fiscally sponsored by the EDCO Ventures.
- MiniDonations allows Keep Austin Generous to easily compile and monitor all giving during Keep Austin Generous Week.
- For businesses: MiniDonations’ role during Keep Austin Generous is to collect donations for any nonprofit, manage the Keep Austin Generous Fund raised during the campaign, and easily highlight a business’ social impact.
- For nonprofits: MiniDonations’ role during Keep Austin Generous Week is to collect donations, manage the Keep Austin Generous funds raised during the campaign, and distribute donations to community-selected nonprofits once voting concludes in March 2014.